I'm Hey guys! So I am hitting you with a double header today. In more ways than one. So since it is Friday, I will obviously be posting my Fairy Tail Friday, but today we also get to read a new post. And since my idiot self so stupidly lost my Kuroko no Basket review...we are changing it up. I am going to be redoing a few lists that I had written up a while ago. One is my top anime endings and the other is my top anime openings. I decided to redo these lists because of one reason, but that will be discussed shortly. For now, let's get started.
Top 10 Anime Ending Themes
So I don’t know if you guys have ever understood why I do so many top 10 lists, but I am the type of person who watches professionals (yes I’m looking at you WatchMojo) who doesn’t quite grasp the essence of anime. I know I am no expert but I don’t just pick the first anime/song/character I can find and say they are x & x on this list. I put a lot of work into picking what goes in my top 10. Like when I posted the top characters for my sister, we literally sat down one night and went through all the characters in the entire series and handpicked each character and which spot they landed on the list. So when I watched WatchMojo’s Top 10 Anime Endings video, I decided that I needed to upload one of my own. I mean they said that the top ED from Bleach was Like a Boat by Rie Fu. Yes that song is beautiful and captures the lighter side of the show, but it is not by far the best ED of the series. I know I have already done my favorite endings a year ago on 10/12/14, but I am going to pick through all the ending themes that have caught my attention and best represent the show. Here is what the list was I did a year ago.
1. “Gekko Symphonia” by AKINO & AIKI from Aquarion EVOL ED 1
2. “FANTASTIC TUNE” by Kensho Ono from Kuroko no Basuke ED 4
3. “Tokohana” by Nagi Yanagi from Black Bullet
4. “Be As One” by w-inds from Fairy Tail ED 6
5. “Sakurabito” by SunSet Swish from Bleach ED 21
6. “Bakuso Yume Uta” by Diggy-Mo’ from Soul Eater ED 3
7. “Black Night Town” by Akihisa Kondo from Naruto Shippuden ED 27
8. “String of Pain” by Tetsuya Kakihara from Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East ED 1
9. “Antoinetteblue” by Nana Kitade from D. Gray-Man ED 4
10. “Wired Life” by Meisa Kuroki from Blue Exorcist ED 2
As you can tell the newest ED from the list is probably Fantastic Tune by Kensho Ono or Tokohana by Nagi Yanagi. However, new is not what I am going to be looking for. I am going to be on the look-out for a song that captures the essence of the series. Let’s do this.
1.“FANTASTIC TUNE” by Kensho Ono (Tetsuya Kuroko) – Ending 4 from Kuroko no Basuke
2. “aLIEz” by Sawano Hiroyuki [nZk]:Mizuki – Ending 1 from Aldnoah.Zero
3. “We’re the Stars” by Aimi – Ending 14 from Fairy Tail
4. “Niji no Sora” by FLOW – Ending 34 from Naruto Shippuden
5. “Uso” by SID – Ending 1 from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
6. “Last Moment” by SPYAIR – Ending 25 from Bleach
7. “Utsukushiki Zankokuna Sekai” by Yoko Hikasa – Ending 1 from Attack on Titan
8. “Attitude to Life” by Galneryus – Ending from Laughing Under the Clouds
9. “Wired Life” by Meisa Kuroki – Ending 2 from Blue Exorcist
10. “Bakuso Yume Uta” by Diggy-MO’ – Ending 3 from Soul Eater
Now like I said, this was not without thoughts. Here are a list of honorable mentions. Songs that were as epically perfect for their series as these top ten but were just not good enough to beat out these top contenders. Don’t get me wrong these songs could definitely win in a fight but they just didn’t catch my standards quite the way I was looking for or there was a better song in the franchise. Three of the songs however that are honorable mentions don’t make the top ten because they were 1) only one episode ending credits, 2) one of them is actually an opening credit, and 3) one of them is an ending for a movie (yes it’s an anime movie, but still it’s a movie…so that’s for a different list). Let’s take a look at those endings that are amazing but didn’t make the cut.
“If” by Nishino Kana – Ending from Naruto Shippuden the Movie 4: The Lost Tower
“Gekko Symphonia” by AKINO & AIKI – Ending 1 from Aquarion EVOL
“Strength” by Abingdon Boys School – Ending 4 from Soul Eater
“Sakurabito” by Sunset Swish – Ending 21 from Bleach
“Re:pray” by Aimer – Ending 29 from Bleach
“GLITTER DAYS” by Fo’xTails – Ending 5 from Kuroko no Basuke
“Kagayaku Sorano Shijimaniwa” by Kalafina – Episode 8 Ending from Black Butler II
“Lacrimosa” by Kalafina – Ending 2 from Black Butler
“Rain” by SID – Episode 63 Ending from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
“FUTURE FISH” by STYLE FIVE – Ending from Free! Eternal Summer
“Great Escape” by cinema staff – Ending 2 from Attack on Titan
“Kokoro no Kagi” by May J – Ending 16 from Fairy Tail
“Never ever” by Tokyo Joshiryuu – Ending 19 from Fairy Tail
“Be as One” by w-inds. – Ending 6 from Fairy Tail
What are your thoughts? What would your top 10 anime endings list be? Let me know!
Top 10 Anime Openings Themes
So picking endings was complicated, just the same as picking the opening credits. Back on 8/24/14 I did just that, I even featured the post in the one year anniversary update. Well, I've decided to redo that list because I felt that there were more openings out there that I could pick through. Plus I didn't do just new songs, I went back a few years as well. Here is the old list.
1. "Ignite" by Eir Aoi - Sword Art Online OP 1
2. "Doubt & Trust" by Access - D. Gray-Man Op 3
3. "Rising Hope" by LiSA - The Irregular at Magic High School Op 1
4. "Masayume Chasing" by BoA - Fairy Tail Op 15
5. "Spirit Inspiration" by nothing's carved in stone - Blast of Tempest Op 1
6. "Goyanomachiawase" by Hello Sleepwalkers - Noragami Op
7. "The Rock City Boy" by JAMIL - Fairy Tail Op 8
8. "Black Bullet" by fripside - Black Bullet Op
9. "Core Pride" by UVERworld - Blue Exorcist Op 1
10. "Henri no Rondo" by GRANRODEO - Karneval Op
Obviously there area a lot of great songs, but I just wasn't 100% satisfied. So I sat down and picked through my openings that I have heard and chose ones that best represent their show as well as get you pumped to watch a show. Let's take a peek at this list.
1. "Punky Funky Love" by GRANRODEO - Opening 5 from Kuroko no Basuke
2. "STRIKE BACK" by BACK-ON - Opening 16 from Fairy Tail
3. "Kyouran Hey Kids!!" by THE ORAL CIGARETTES - Opening from Noragami Aragoto
4. "heavenly blue" by Kalafina - Opening 1 from Aldnoah.Zero
5. "Deep in your heart" by Domoto Koichi - Opening from Jyu-Oh-Sei
6. "Guren no Yumiya" by Linked Horizon - Opening 1 from Attack on Titan
7. "Realization" by Faylan - Opening from Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero
8. "Dried Up Youthful Flame" by OLDCODEX - Opening from Free! Eternal Summer
9. "Imagination" by SPYAIR - Opening 1 from Haikyuu!
10. "Nee" by Fujita Maiko - Opening 2 from Hiiro no Kakera
Now like the endings, there were a couple of songs that didn't quite make the cut, though not as long of a list as the ending credits. In fact, it's a fifth of the size...that's a rough estimate. Here are the three songs that didn't quite make the cut because three other songs beat them out.
"ZERO" by Kensho Ono - Opening 6 from Kuroko no Basuke
*The only reason it didn't make the list is because I can't help but fall in love with Punky Funky Love each time I hear it, plus FANTASTIC TUNE will forever be my favorite Kensho Ono song*
"Rage on" by OLDCODEX - Opening from Free! Iwatobi Swim Club
*If there wasn't a season two for Free! this one would be on the list, but Dried Up Youthful Flame fits much better for the series, plus the opening credit sequence showcases a lot of the emotions you will be feeling*
"Hi no Ito Rinne no Gemini" by petit milady - Opening from World Break
*Nee beat this song out purely because I absolutely love the emotion of Nee and this song is beautiful in its own right but it just can't hold a flame to the strength in Fujita Maiko's soulful song*
What is your favorite opening? Did any make the cut? Let me know.
Well that is all for this week.
I hope you guys have an awesome one, you deserve it.